2008/02/25

As I rose like a lover from the ravished sea
My cold mouth stuffed with jewels and with sand,
The fire falling at my hair and hand,
(Her mother the moon waiting for the fee)
I saw you lying by the listening tree.

The infant pain lay sleeping at your side
Rocked by the naked fingers of the tide,
But you saw not my shaking ship, nor me.

I spread my swearing sea-charts at your knee
My rooted tongue burgeoning apes and roses
As noon the sally-port of morning closes,
My crew hallooing at the drunken quay.

My bonny barque was sundered at your door!
You smiled, for you had seen it all before.


CHARLES CAUSLEY, U.K.,
“To a Poet Who Has Never Travelled”, 1961




Quando ressurgi qual amante do mar que seduzi
Minha boca fria entupida de jóias e de areia,
Cobertos de fogo meus cabelos e a mão,
(E a lua sua mãe esperando o soldo)
Vi-te deitado ao pé da árvore da atenção.

A dor infantil jazia a teu lado
Embalada pelos dedos despidos da maré,
Mas tu não viste meu navio sacudido, nem me viste.

Estendo-te as suadas cartas de marear à altura do joelho
Minha língua funda florida de arremedos e de rosas
Enquanto o meio-dia encerra a porta falsa da manhã,
E pelo cais ébrio clama a minha tripulação.

Minha barca galante quebrou-se à tua porta!
Sorriste, pois já antes viras tudo isto.

No comments: