2013/05/09

THE PLEASURES OF OPIUM
It is very long since I first took opium; so long, that if it had been a trifling incident in my life, I might have forgotten its date; but cardinal events are not to be forgotten; and, from circumstances connected with it, I remember that this inauguration to the use of opium must be referred to the spring or to the autumn of 1804; during which seasons I was in London, having come thither for the first time since my entrance at Oxford. And this event arose in the following way: from an early age I had been accustomed to wash my head in cold water at least once a day; being suddenly seized with toothache, I attributed it to some relaxation caused by a casual intermission of that practice; jumped out of bed, plunged my head into a basin of cold water, and with hair thus wetted went to sleep. The next morning, as I need hardly say, I awoke with excruciating rheumatic pains of the head and face, from which I had hardly any respite for about twenty days. On the twenty-first day I think it was, and on a Sunday, that I went out into the streets; rather to run away, if possible, from my torments, than with any distinct purpose of relief. By accident, I met a college acquaintance, who recommended opium. Opium! dread agent of unimaginable pleasure and pain! I had heard of it as I had heard of manna and ambrosia, but no further. How unmeaning a sound was opium at that time! What solemn chords does it now strike upon my heart! What heart-quaking vibrations of sad and happy remembrances!

THOMAS DE QUINCEY, U.K.,
in Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1821



OS PRAZERES DO ÓPIO
Foi há muito tempo que tomei ópio pela primeira vez; tanto tempo que, houvesse sido ele na minha vida um incidente insignificante e eu pudera ter esquecido a data; mas os acontecimentos essenciais não são para esquecer; e, por circunstâncias a ele ligadas, lembro-me que a iniciação ao uso do ópio remonta à Primavera ou ao Outono de 1804; estações em que me encontrava em Londres, aonde fora pela primeira vez desde a minha entrada em Oxford. E esse acontecimento deu-se do seguinte modo: desde muito novo habituara-me a lavar a cabeça com água fria pelo menos uma vez ao dia; subitamente acometido por uma dor dentes, atribuí-a a uma qualquer descompressão causada pela interrupção ocasional dessa prática; saltei da cama, mergulhei a cabeça numa bacia de água fria e, com o cabelo assim molhado, adormeci. Na manhã seguinte, escusado será dizer que acordei e tinha na cara e na cabeça lancinantes dores reumáticas, que não me deram tréguas durante uns vinte dias. Acho que foi no vigésimo-primeiro dia, um domingo, que saí para a rua; mais para fugir, caso fosse possível, aos meus tormentos, do que com o objectivo específico de obter alívio. Encontrei um conhecido meu da faculdade, que me recomendou ópio. Ópio! Agente temível de prazer e dor inimagináveis! Ouvira falar dele como ouvira falar de maná e de ambrósia, mais nada. Que som sem significado era o ópio, nesse tempo! E que cordas solenes faz hoje soar no meu coração! Como o abala com vibrações de memórias tristes e felizes!

No comments: