2008/05/08

My parents kept me from children who were rough
Who threw words like stones and who wore torn clothes.
Their thighs showed through rags. They ran in the street
And climbed cliffs and stripped by the country streams.

I feared more than tigers their muscles like iron
Their jerking hands and their knees tight on my arms.
I feared the salt coarse pointing of those boys
Who copied my lisp behind me on the road.

They were lithe, they sprang out behind hedges
Like dogs to bark at my world. They threw mud
While I looked the other way, pretending to smile.
I longed to forgive them, but they never smiled.

STEPHEN SPENDER, U.K., 1932




Os meus pais protegiam-me das crianças que eram rudes
Que atiravam palavras como pedras e andavam rotas.
Via-lhes as coxas através dos rasgões. Corriam pela rua
Escalavam penhascos e despiam-se nas ribeiras.

Mais do que tigres eu temia os músculos de aço
As mãos bruscas e os joelhos que me apertavam os braços.
Temia o apontar indecente e vulgar desses rapazes
Que imitavam o meu ciciar na estrada atrás de mim.

Eram ágeis, saltavam de trás das sebes
Como cães a ladrar ao meu mundo. Atiravam lama
Enquanto eu olhava para outro lado, fingindo que sorria.
Ansiava por lhes perdoar, mas eles nunca sorriam.

No comments: